Ingénieur mécanique — Swansea, Royaume-Uni
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of the Research and Development team at Silverwing to design remote-deployment vehicles to scan the integrity of large, in-field structures in the oil and gas industry. The role involves creating portable scanning systems incorporating motor drives, actuators, and light materials, while incorporating industrial design to create robust and ergonomic tools. Magnetic coupling systems are used to enable the aforementioned scanners to be driven on vertical structures and require grip and sufficient force to maintain their position. The mechanical engineer is also involved in the design of such systems, which requires careful balance between system weight, traction, and manoeuvrability to navigate around such structures in an accurate and efficient manner.
Silverwing is part of Eddyfi Technologies, a world-leading, rapidly growing business undertaking design, development, and manufacture of specialized inspection equipment for the non-destructive testing (NDT) industry. You can find more information about our products and services at www.silverwingndt.com.
- Design new remote scanning systems and incorporate company design ideals into industrial design elements.
- Work in an agile manner to deliver mechanical designs for new products and improve existing ones.
- Apply engineering principles of design for manufacturing.
- Coordinate with R&D technicians to perform feasibility studies, prototype assembly, and product testing.
- Work with the product manager to deliver designs suitable for the application.
- Coordinate tasks with the project manager to achieve timely delivery.
- Coordinate with the in-house production team and the international machine workshops, as well as outsource designs to gather suitable parts for prototyping.
- Liaise with the production team to manufacture approved designs.
- Actively participate in brainstorming with the R&D team to overcome problems.
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure designs are cost effective.
- Investigate new materials and processes to improve value propositions. For example, suitable wheel materials offering sufficient grip without damaging surfaces.
- Generate design drawings (parts and assemblies), assembly instructions, and documentation for new products.
- Mentor one junior mechanical engineer to help develop core skills while coordinating tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- 4+ years experience in design and development of industrial systems with knowledge of 3D CAD packages
- Knowledge of or experience with developing robotic crawler systems, motorized mechanisms, magnetically coupled systems a plus
- Proficient with 3D CAD packages required (SolidWorks a plus)
- Workshop skills (or minimum knowledge of) turning, milling, and mechanical assembly
- Structural approach to product development
- Excellent knowledge of machining operations, as well as dimensional and geometric tolerances
- Innovative and creative in-problem solving
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Coordinate with project managers to create effective project plans to meet minimum viable product (MVP) within specified deadlines
- Produce and present design proposals
- Hands-on experience delivering or coordinating prototype builds and first-production systems
- A highly professional approach and manner
- Positive proactive can-do attitude
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a friendly and highly motivated team, inside an excellent working environment. Apply now!